Artificial Intelligence (AI) has brought about dramatic changes in all major markets and industries globally, mainly due to human-like abilities, better accuracy, and increased task efficiency. These capabilities of AI are gradually making it a necessity in our daily lives. Below are some of the most common applications of artificial intelligence:
1. Social Media: Artificial Intelligence is an essential component in social media. Tech-giants like Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and others utilize the power of AI to train their algorithms, drive insights, and predict user behaviors to improve not only their marketing and reach but also user experiences. Instagram has ‘DeepText’ – an AI algorithm that detects spam messages in more than 9 languages (Rangaiah, 2020).
2. Education: Artificial intelligence has been helping in the academic industry by enhancing the teaching, learning, and communication experiences. Software applications with AI technologies are being developed for varied educational purposes, such as, ‘Nuance’ that develops speech recognition algorithms that assist in transcribing. The software does not depend on location and helps students in writing and spelling. Another example is ‘Alta’ by the company, Knewton. Built for both teachers and students, Alta assists students in bridging the gaps in their school work and learning (Alyssa, 2018).
3. Entertainment: Applications of artificial intelligence in the entertainment industry include recommendations for audios, videos, and movies; editing videos; analyzing user behavior; and advertising. A popular example is the Netflix platform. Netflix uses AI algorithms to recommend programs according to the preferences of the user. This information is gained from the history section of the user’s viewed content. This helps Netflix to keep the user engaged on their platform which would result in further sales / monthly subscriptions ("Applications of AI in the Media & Entertainment Industry -USM", 2020).
4. E-Commerce: The e-commerce industry runs on marketing, sales, and profits. Artificial Intelligence helps to gather real-time insights that help in generating more sales and consequently increased profits.
Voice assistants help the user by quickly searching for products online.
5. Data Security: AI is used to shield against cyber-attacks by alerting individuals, people, or companies to potential malicious elements on the Internet. AI is being used to clearly structure and clean online data so that researchers can further improve data security.
6. Gaming: Artificial intelligence is used to create human-like characters and responses in games for an enhanced and realistic user gaming experience. Apart from making the games seem more real, AI enables the development of smart games.
7. Healthcare: In the clinical setting, artificial intelligence assists in faster and more accurate diagnoses. Huge amounts of data are analyzed to identify diseases, predict future disease stages, and recommend the best treatments. This data includes the health records of patients and can be further used by researchers for finding more effective treatments.
8. Agriculture: The agricultural industry has begun adopting artificial intelligence systems in tasks such as analyzing farm data. This data, which can also be in real-time includes seasonal and atmospheric conditions, soil types, and water utilization. An evaluation of crop options helps farmers in optimizing their yields. An AI technology known as Precision agriculture helps farmers to identify any crop diseases, weeds, or nutrition issues in plants. Farmers can then decide the correct amount of fertilizers and herbicides to use (Walch, 2019).
9. Finance: In the finance and banking industry, artificial intelligence has altered our interactions with money. From trading, investing, crediting, to cryptocurrencies, AI has the potential to further cause major changes in the fintech industry.
Will Robots Take My Job?
Join my free weekly newsletter below and get your pressing Tech questions answered each Monday.
You will not get any Promotional Emails.